E - hellofilmstudent@gmail.com
T- @FilmSSpace

Friday 14 January 2011

Burlesque Baby! (Review)


Cert: 12A
Director/Writer: Steve Antin
Genre: Drama/Dance/Musical
Starring: Christina Aguilera (popstar), Cher (diva extroadinaire), Stanley Tucci (Sex & The City), Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Cam Gigandet (Twilight), Alan Cumming (The L Word), Peter Gallagher (The OC), Diana Agron (Glee), Julianne Hough (Dancing With The Stars) and Eric Dane (McSteamy from Grey's Anatomy).


So it didn't get the best reviews, it only made number 50 on James King's movies of 2010* and it was almost the same storyline as Coyote Ugly, but screw all that; Burlesque is well worth a viewing!


Firstly, it has the cast de la fabulous with performances from Cher and Aguilera who co-wrote some of the soundtrack. Secondly, there's sweet romance, sexy costumes, an original jazzy soundtrack and lots of half naked women for all you perves out there! This combination makes Burlesque sheer glamour and sparkles baby!


So what's it all about? Put simply, Ali (Aguilera) is a small town girl with a big city voice. Naturally she leaves Iowa for L.A. and begins exploring life at a neo-burlesque club run by former dancer Tess (Cher). Working at The Burlesque Lounge introduces Ali to rivalry, romance, showbusiness and players. Can Ali achieve her dreams and stay true to herself? Will Tess overcome her financial troubles and keep the club in business? Will anyone have scandalous dirty sex? Well not too much, it is a 12A after all.


So what's the best thing about Burlesque? Personally, for me it has to be the tunes. I actually got laughed at by my male friend about halfway through for dancing in my chair. I couldn't help it, the soundtrack is amazing! I am a massive Aguilera fan anyway but seeing her on the big screen shimmying her little hiny off had me bopping along quite happily in my seat. I also loved the gorgeous costumes, the raunchy routines, the hot totty and the sheer diva-ness of it all.


My favourite line from the film is 'I will not be upstaged by a slut with mutant lungs!' Well if that's what makes Aguilera such an amazing gutsy singer then hell, sign me up for a pair! The best costume has to be Ali's dress made of pearls which is pretty damn cool, even if it does unravel to show a nude Ali pretty quick. Then again, isnt that what all the feathers are for? Personally, my favourite scene has to be Jack (Gigandet) and Ali's flirtacious cookie conversation which ends with Jack pretty darn naked. Need I say more ladies?


After the film, my friends and I made the following comments: 'I wanna go dancing! I wanna visit a Burlesque club! I wanna buy a corset!' Burlesque made us feel sexy, glamourous and ready to party. Now that's a good movie!

* http://www.jameskingmovies.com/the-festive-50

No comments:

Post a Comment